help with e1000 upgrade

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at nsc1.net
Mon Aug 25 11:33:26 EDT 2003

Doug Shubert wrote:

>Hello Wade,
>
>Wade Hampton wrote:
>

>>G'day,
>>
>>I am upgrading the larger of my clusters to 1G ethernet.  All nodes are
>>

>Are the on-board NIC's Intel ?

Intel

>>I tried upgrading to the newer 5.1.3 driver.  The head node
>>is up and working.  I made a boot floppy and tried booting,
>>but once again, it hung right after the line displaying the
>>e1000 and its IRQ.
>>

>Are you using Cat5e or Cat6 cabling?
>
>We have found that Cat6 works more reliably
>on auto sense 10/100/1000 NIC's and switches.

So far, CAT5E (3-6 foot cables).

>>In the slave node BIOS, I have turned off the eepro100
>>and turned on the e1000.
>>

>We are using the E1000 driver in kernel 2.4.21 and it works flawlessly.

I've been using it in the Scyld 2.4.17 kernel from my head node for
nearly a year
without any issues.  The master has the same motherboard and chips, only
more disks, etc.

The issue seems to be with booting my slave nodes from the Scyld boot disc.

Thanks,
--
Wade Hampton