help with e1000 upgrade

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at
Mon Aug 25 08:31:34 EDT 2003

I am upgrading the larger of my clusters to 1G ethernet.  All nodes are
TYAN motherboards (including the head node), and have on-board
1G.  I've been using the default e1000 driver on my head node for
the past year.  It's version 4.1.7.  However, when I try to boot my
slave nodes, they appear to "hang" after initializing the NIC.

I tried upgrading to the newer 5.1.3 driver.  The head node
is up and working.  I made a boot floppy and tried booting,
but once again, it hung right after the line displaying the
e1000 and its IRQ.

In the slave node BIOS, I have turned off the eepro100
and turned on the e1000.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wade Hampton