AW: AW: mulitcast copy or snowball copy

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Aug 18 22:43:57 EDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Rene Storm wrote:

> A geometrically cascading structure gives me some more disadvantages.
> If you are using an additional high performance network, eg myrinet or
> infiniband you won't have problems with the switch bandwidth.
>
> If you are using low cost Ethernet/Gigabit network topology with 2 or
> more hups between the nodes (like FFN), the last "generation" of the
> snowball could be a heavy bottleneck.

No one uses Ethernet repeaters on a cluster.  32 port Fast Ethernet
switches are under $5/port.  Even for Gigabit Ethernet, 8 port switches
can be found for $20/port.

An unusual topology might be better utilized by mapping the copy
topology to the physical, but that's not the usual case.  The typical
case is an essentially flat topology, or one close enough that treating
it as flat avoids complexity.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993