AW: AW: mulitcast copy or snowball copy

Rene Storm rene.storm at emplics.com
Mon Aug 18 17:27:56 EDT 2003

Ok,

A geometrically cascading structure gives me some more disadvantages.
If you are using an additional high performance network, eg myrinet or infiniband you won't have problems with the switch bandwidth.

If you are using low cost Ethernet/Gigabit network topology with 2 or more hups between the nodes (like FFN), the last "generation" of the snowball could be a heavy bottleneck.

It seems, there are too many variables for too many kinds of clusters.

A big cluster farm often got a "idle" network, but only one, while a MPI cluster could have a network for the message passing and one for commands and copying. You could use this service-network to copy our files without using full bandwidth of this network.
But this would cost something cluster users don't have: time.

Rene