large filesystem & fileserver architecture issues.

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Aug 6 08:07:45 EDT 2003

We just implemented an IDE RAID system for some meteorology data/work.
We're pretty happy with the results so far.  Our hardwre complement is:

SuperMicro X5DAE Motherboard
dual Xeon 2.8GHz processors
2 GB Kingston Registered ECC RAM
2 HighPoint RocketRAID 404 4-channel IDE RAID adapters
10 Maxtor 250 GB 7200 RPM disks
1 Maxtor 60 GB drive for system work
1 long multi-drop disk power cable...
SuperMicro case (nomenclature escapes me, however, it has 1 disk bays
and fits the X5DAE MoBo
Cheapest PCI video card I could find (no integrated video on MoBo)
Add-on Intel GBE SC fiber adapter

Drawbacks:
1.  I should have checked for integrated video for simplicity
2.  Current HighPoint drivers for RH9 are not RAID yet; use RH7.3 with
ALL the patches
3.  Make sure you order the rack mount parts when you order the case; it
  only appeared they were included...
4.  Questions have been raised about the E-1000 integrated GBE copper
NIC on the Mobo; Doesn't matter: it's gonna be connected to a 100M
switch and GBE will be on fiber like God intended data to be passed (No,
I don't trust most terminations for GBE on copper!)

It's up and working.  Burning in for the last 2 weeks with no problems,
it's going to the Texas GigaPoP today where it'll be live on Internet2.

HTH, Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173