Cisco switches for lam mpi

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Aug 4 09:50:09 EDT 2003

I should have commented earlier, but I didn't think I had time...

My experience with the Cisco 4006 was that as an aggregation switch it
was OK for 10/100 or GBE.  It did fine for normal "enterprise switching.
  The 4006's I've used had only older Supervisor Modules and ran CAT-OS,
rather than IOS like the 4506 I'm testing now.

For higher performance, while CPU utilization stays low, the switch
falls off at higher loads.

Caveat:  I did not test these devices in a cluster environment; the
thought never crossed my mind.  I'd be using a 6509 if I had to use a
Cisco, but I'd probably be shopping for HP ProCurves, Foundry's,
Riverstones, or NEC Bluefires, based on what I've seen and done lately.
  I tested the 4006 in normal enterprise mode, and loaded it for
high-perf network modes.  If you ever need QoS do NOT use a 4006.  Or a
4506.  They can't handle it too well.  But I digress.

I'm gonna try to get a couple of ProCurves in and test 'em against a LAN
tester made by Anritsu (MD1230/1231) for small packet capability
(RFC-2544).  That's been a killer for a lot of switches I've looked at.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173