large filesystem & fileserver architecture issues.

Tue Aug 5 18:35:09 EDT 2003

hi ya

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Mitchel Kagawa wrote:

> I have 2 IDE RAID boxes from AC&C (http://www.acnc.com) They are not true
> NFS boxes, rather they connect to a cheap $1500 server via a scsi-3 cable.

thought acnc.com has good stuff . :-)

> Although they do offer a NFS box that will turn one of these arrays into a
> standalone.  We have had great success with these units
> (http://neptune.navships.com/images/harddrivearrays.jpg) .  We first
> acquired the 8 slot chassis 2 years ago and filled it with 8 IBM 120GXP's.
> We have set it up in a RAID-5 configuration and have not yet had to replace
> even one of the drives (Knockin on wood).  After a year we picked up the
> 14slot chassis and filled it with 160 maxtor drives and it has performed
> flawless...  I think we paig about $4000 for the 14 slot chassis. you can
> add 14 160 gb seagates for $129 from newegg.com and and a cheap fileserver
> for $1500 and you got about 2TB of storage for around $7000

8 drives at 250GB each is 2TB in one 1U chassis ...
	250GB disks is about $250 now days.... maybe less on the online
	webstores

backup of 2TB should be done on another 2TB systems .. 3rd 2TB machine if
the data cannot be recreated

save only the raw data/apps needed to regenerate the output data

c ya
alvin