large filesystem & fileserver architecture issues.

Mitchel Kagawa mitchel at navships.com
Tue Aug 5 15:11:58 EDT 2003

I have 2 IDE RAID boxes from AC&C (http://www.acnc.com) They are not true
NFS boxes, rather they connect to a cheap $1500 server via a scsi-3 cable.
Although they do offer a NFS box that will turn one of these arrays into a
standalone.  We have had great success with these units
(http://neptune.navships.com/images/harddrivearrays.jpg) .  We first
acquired the 8 slot chassis 2 years ago and filled it with 8 IBM 120GXP's.
We have set it up in a RAID-5 configuration and have not yet had to replace
even one of the drives (Knockin on wood).  After a year we picked up the
14slot chassis and filled it with 160 maxtor drives and it has performed
flawless...  I think we paig about $4000 for the 14 slot chassis. you can
add 14 160 gb seagates for $129 from newegg.com and and a cheap fileserver
for $1500 and you got about 2TB of storage for around $7000

Mitchel Kagawa