large filesystem & fileserver architecture issues.

Nicholas Henke henken at
Tue Aug 5 11:47:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 11:45, Michael T. Prinkey wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2003, Nicholas Henke wrote:
> We have a lot of experience with IDE RAID arrays at client sites.  The DOE
> lab in Morgantown, WV has about 4 TBs of IDE RAID that we built for them.
> The performance is quite good (840 GBs, 140 MB/sec read, 80 MB/sec write)
> and the price is hard to beat.  The raid array that serves home
> directories to their clusters and workstations is backed up nightly to a
> second raid server, similarly to your system.  To speed things along we
> installed an extra gigabit card in the primary and backup servers and
> connected the two directly.  The nightly backup (cp -auf via NFS) of 410
> GBs take just over an hour using the dedicated gbit link.  Rsync would
> probably be faster.  Without the shortcircuit gigabit link, it used to run
> four or five times longer and seriously impact NFS performance for the
> rest of the systems on the LAN.
> Hope this helps.
> Regards,
> Mike Prinkey
> Aeolus Research, Inc.

Definately does -- can you recommend hardware for the IDE RAID, or list
what you guys have used ?

Nicholas Henke
Penguin Herder & Linux Cluster System Programmer
Liniac Project - Univ. of Pennsylvania