Filesystem

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Fri Aug 1 22:33:50 EDT 2003

I have some anecdotal evidence that ext3 starts taking performance hit
in cases where there is a lot of files getting written and then
quickly erased.  Also there's a performance penalty on burst I/O--e.g.
if you have a system doing near-continuous disk writes and reads it
will bump the load factor up.  But I don't have any information to
suggest that Reiser does it better.

Steve

Steven C. Timm (630) 840-8525  timm at fnal.gov  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Computing Division/Core Support Services Dept.
Assistant Group Leader, Scientific Computing Support Group
Lead of Computing Farms Team