OT warning...Re: beowulf in space, now wandering far afield...

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Apr 26 01:55:02 EDT 2003

I can't conceive of a reason to locate a cluster in the vicinity of
CHernobyl.  As you note, the death toll continues to climb, and the
mutation rate is non-trivial among the retilian population.  The cancer
rate is considerably higher than background, as well.

However, parking a cluster under the sarcophogus doesn't strike me as
adding anything to the mass of knowledge, nor is there too much I can
think of, from a research perspective, that'd require or benefit from
on-site cluster computations.

I suspect one reason no one is wanting to talk about Chernobyl is that
it occurred so long ago, at least in American terms, that it's ancient
history.  We know what caused it (carelessness) and we know a lot of
damage was wrought.  Right now, aside from documenting mutation and
cancer rates, neither of which requires massively parallel applications,
there's some interesting structural engineering data to be gleaned from
the concrete sarcophygus  (overshroud of reinforced concrete that's
decaying at a pretty amazing rate.  But, I think I'd to my assessments
on-site, then go home to decontaminate and run my datasets.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173