OT warning...Re: beowulf in space, now wandering far afield...

astroguy at bellsouth.net astroguy at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 26 07:40:19 EDT 2003

> From: Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry.creager at tamu.edu>
> Date: 2003/04/26 Sat AM 01:55:02 EDT
> To: astroguy <astroguy at bellsouth.net>
> CC: beowulf at beowulf.org
> Subject: OT warning...Re: beowulf in space, now wandering far afield...
>
> I can't conceive of a reason to locate a cluster in the vicinity of
> CHernobyl.  As you note, the death toll continues to climb, and the
> mutation rate is non-trivial among the retilian population.  The cancer
> rate is considerably higher than background, as well.
>
> However, parking a cluster under the sarcophogus doesn't strike me as
> adding anything to the mass of knowledge, nor is there too much I can
> think of, from a research perspective, that'd require or benefit from
> on-site cluster computations.
>
> I suspect one reason no one is wanting to talk about Chernobyl is that
> it occurred so long ago, at least in American terms, that it's ancient
> history.  We know what caused it (carelessness) and we know a lot of
> damage was wrought.  Right now, aside from documenting mutation and
> cancer rates, neither of which requires massively parallel applications,
> there's some interesting structural engineering data to be gleaned from
> the concrete sarcophygus  (overshroud of reinforced concrete that's
> decaying at a pretty amazing rate.  But, I think I'd to my assessments
> on-site, then go home to decontaminate and run my datasets.
>
> gerry
>
> astroguy wrote:
> > Gerry Creager wrote:
> >

> >>Layers 8 & 9 (fiscal/political) of the ISO model?
> >>
> >>gerry

> >>--
> >>Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
> >>Network Engineering -- AATLT, Texas A&M University
> >>Office: 979.458.4020  FAX: 979.847.8578
> >>Cell: 979.229.5301    Pager: 979.228.0173

> > Hi Gerry,
> > Since you asked... not sure what distro of ISO we may need but there is a lot
> > of work yet here on Terra fir ma... one area of convergence that the Beowolf
> > in space might hold some measure of promise in synergistic high radiation
> > environment would be, at least in my mind, the site of Chernobyl that no one
> > is very keen to talk about but all are certanly aware it is a site that must be revisited... in the death toll
> > even greater that our 9/11... and their Russian firefighters are still adding their heroic numbers to the list...
> > Who are we to ask them to sacrifice more than they have already... But I think all agree we have a daunting and
> > serious job to do in a very difficult almost space like environment.
> > . Crazy Russians a little nuts but ya just got to love'em
> > Just posting, thanks for list indulgence
> > c.clary
> > spartan sys.
> > po box 1515
> > spartanburg, sc 29304-0243
> >
> > fax# (801) 858-2722
>
> --
> Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
> [...]
As I recall we were speaking of diplomacy and high radiation... it just seems that a bot that could function would because of mission demand to function in an actual worker labor intensive multi functional capacity... visual demands alone of simply walking or rolling are considerable in any independent fashion... basic demands beyond the simple robotic independent of a tether leash and logic demands of simply picking up a piece of pipe... even to see the pipe and understand and distinguish a difference from a wooden broom on the floor are considerable and daunting task that have eluded our top engineers to date... as from the inception from this debate I hold to Dr.Browns position.... Lots of work to be done yet on earth before we might place pie in the sky theoretical magnetic space drives and magic space monkey's into space... some call  proof of concept or failure analysis... It to me is basic foundation groundwork that we build the steps before we just rocket into heaven!
 or hell.
c.clary
spartan sys
po box 1515
spartanburg, sc 29304-0243

PS sorry to poop on the party... but beyond this whist of some H.G.Wells there is a ton of real work attached to not only theory but test... test and more test.