AMD Opteron benchmarks

Bill Broadley bill at
Fri Apr 25 17:07:29 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 09:28:01AM +0200, Dominique Vançon wrote:
> Hi All,
> we performed some benchmarks on AMD Opteron 1400 (also Intel XEON,
> Itanium2 900, AMD MP, Apple and Alpha processors) :
> We also could make some comments about these tests, so feel free to
> contact.

Interesting.  What were the exact configurations of the hardware?
Unlike most other hardware the opterons can be significantly slower
based on the configuration.

Apparently there is a shortage of PC2700 ECC Registered memory.  Did your
test opterons have PC2100 or PC2700?

Did each opteron have 2 matched dimms (so 4 for a dual cpu)?  I've seen
duals with only 1 of the 2 memory banks populated.

Why did you use Intel's compiler for the Xeons, but gcc for the Opterons?

Bill Broadley
UC Davis