beowulf in space

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Apr 25 00:32:13 EDT 2003

One of the things I established when I was working on the old Space
Station Freedon, in the early '90s, is that the space-rated CPUs, less
the issues with radiation hardening and single-event upset recovery,
were hardly different from good CPUs.  What we discovered was that the
MIL-SPEC components differed little from the "industrial-grade"
components, save in the degree of paperwork delivered with the device.
And the costs.  Thus, we drove toward the use of the lower-cost, similar
quality Industrial-Grade devices.

Now, for low- and mid-earth-orbit altitudes, the radiation environment
is pretty harsh.  One should be cognizant of that environment, and model
the potential for radiation induced transient problems.  If you're not
ready for transient failures, and at that, failures that may or may not
heal (aneal), you shouldn't use non-radiation hardened, commercial,
processors.

I've not looked at the specs for rad-hardening and SEU performance.  If
it's a commercial- as opposed to an industrial-grade processor, I'd not
be too sure of reliability, either, although those specs have come up
markedly over the last 10 years.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173