beowulf in space

Jim Ahia jahia at mail.umesd.k12.or.us
Fri Apr 25 01:31:21 EDT 2003

So the radiation concerns with rad-hardened computer equipment are not
as much of a problem once clear of the Van Allen Radiation Belt?  How
does this affect the space station and the planned missions to mars?
What about the lunar environment?  I admit to having a lot of ignorance
on this subject, but I am concerned because part of my college project
is for robotic teams to do excavation / mining using a "hive" concept.
The end result is to get more information on the challenges that will be
faced by the robotic workers that are eventually sent to the moon first,
and to mars second.

I am not speaking about the exploration missions by NASA, but rather
the much-farther-down-the-road commercial mining interests that will
want to build a foundry on the moon and a spacedock in earth orbit prior
to the big colonization push into our solar system.  I believe it is
going to happen someday, because we already know that eventually our sun
will go nova and earth will be no longer habitable.  Sooner or later
mankind, if it is to survive, will need to undergo some kind of diaspora
and migrate out into space.