Serial Port Concentrators vs. KVMs

Dale Harris rodmur at maybe.org
Thu Apr 24 18:24:44 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:28:12PM +0100, Dan Kidger elucidated:
> However the current trend is for all new rack-mount nodes to offer some sort
> of BMC (baseboard management controller) with an ethernet connection. As
> well as giving remote power cycling, this should allow 'Serial_over_Lan" -

Course the thing I wonder about that is then would seem to loose some
redundancy,  unless you have a separate network setup to run the serial
over LAN.  Basically stuff like Cyclades is out of band from your
administrative network.  Course I guess if a switch blows up, there may
not be any particular need to access a node.

--
Dale Harris
rodmur at maybe.org
/.-)