beowulf in space

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Thu Apr 24 10:44:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 10:34, Jim Ahia wrote:
> As I was reading this thread, some things came to mind that might add
> the discussion:
>
> 1 ) although Dells and Gateways are too heavy to lift into orbit,
> pc-104 systems might be the solution.  3.6 x 3.8 inch pentium-class
> motherboards with a single 5v power requirement make things much
> smaller.  It is completely possible to have each node fit into the
space
> of a half-height CD-ROM drive.  Can anyone say "cluster in one box"?

A PC-104 cluster has been constructed at Sandia:
http://eri.ca.sandia.gov/eri/howto.html

BTW, one of the UK Sunday newspapers recently carried a magazine article
on Sandia, and the projects going on there. What an interesting place.
I think we've all heard about the fun computing things at Sandia, but
this article talked about other things like the very high powered laser
they have.