back to the issue of cooling

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Tue Apr 22 23:46:23 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:47:36PM -0400, Robert G. Brown's all...
  >On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Eray Ozkural wrote:
  >
  >> Has anybody calculated if the operation of a low-power cluster can amortize
  >> the actual price of the system in a couple of years? I'm thinking something
  >> like an apple cluster or something, might actually be viable! What about
  >> total cost/processing power of the cluster ?

Depends on where you live. Canada is a pretty cheap place to waste power,
tho Seattle is better than Toronto:

http://www.bchydro.com/policies/rates/rates759.html

(But then you might factor in real estate pricing

  >For things like apples, you may have to factor in increased sysadmin
  >costs, if you're not careful.  Intel or Athlon clusters are pretty much
  >plug'n'play with multiple distributions and techniques, if you shop your
  >hardware at all carefully.

Suddenly diskless vs non diskless isnt just a management issue too -
15krpm drives can eat a fair bit of power. (We have power supplies in
smaller servers that cant handle 2x 15Krpm + Dual p3). Start adding up
to 30-40W+ per drive across 1000 nodes and you have a fair chunk of power.

/kc

  >  rgb
  >

  >> Cheers,
  >>
  >> --
  >> Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
  >> Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project: http://www.kde.org
  >> www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza
  >> GPG public key fingerprint: 360C 852F 88B0 A745 F31B  EA0F 7C07 AE16 874D 539C

  >Robert G. Brown	                       http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
  >Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
  >Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
  >Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, Canada
Wiznet Velocet DSL.ca Datavaults  24/7: 416-967-4414  tollfree: 1-866-353-0363