beowulf in space Warning: 'WAY OT

Robert G. Brown rgb at
Sat Apr 19 14:54:59 EDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> You asked for it.
> about 8 years ago, in response to a need to better and more accurately
> track cattle for a USDA-sponsored entomology research project, Cows In
> Space was born (or borne, as the case may be).  There were lots of
> 68030's moooving around the pasture, all reporting back to a head node
> made of a Pentium-I.  All of the primary data was provided by direct
> sequence spread-spectrum signalling at L-Band.  Biasing and additional
> input data was provided by a low-speed VHF datalink.  ALthough the
> general application was NUMA, in fact, all of the processors had a
> uniform architecture and memory distribution.
> These were GPS receivers.  On cows.  With differential corrections data
> provided.  For the record, we were able to determine the animals'
> location on a 30-sec interval with sub-bovine accuracy.
> Sorry.  It just HAD to be told.

You'll be sorry.  I'm recording all of this in my
Src/beowulf_book/List_Ideas/Space file.  One day Cows In Space (as told
by a certain GC:-) will be on the tongues of all humans on the
planet...or at least all of those interested in building clusters.

It's pretty clear that there is a chapter in all this, but I've spent
some 24 out of the last 36 hours rewriting the brahma website in php.
That (by the way) is almost done -- people who have used

in the past might check it out again at

and comment if they so desire.  When my energy banks recharge, perhaps
I'll tackle the Cows. So to speak...