beowulf in space Warning: 'WAY OT

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Apr 19 14:54:59 EDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> You asked for it.
>
> about 8 years ago, in response to a need to better and more accurately
> track cattle for a USDA-sponsored entomology research project, Cows In
> Space was born (or borne, as the case may be).  There were lots of
> 68030's moooving around the pasture, all reporting back to a head node
> made of a Pentium-I.  All of the primary data was provided by direct
> sequence spread-spectrum signalling at L-Band.  Biasing and additional
> input data was provided by a low-speed VHF datalink.  ALthough the
> general application was NUMA, in fact, all of the processors had a
> uniform architecture and memory distribution.
>
> These were GPS receivers.  On cows.  With differential corrections data
> provided.  For the record, we were able to determine the animals'
> location on a 30-sec interval with sub-bovine accuracy.
>
> Sorry.  It just HAD to be told.

You'll be sorry.  I'm recording all of this in my
Src/beowulf_book/List_Ideas/Space file.  One day Cows In Space (as told
by a certain GC:-) will be on the tongues of all humans on the
planet...or at least all of those interested in building clusters.

It's pretty clear that there is a chapter in all this, but I've spent
some 24 out of the last 36 hours rewriting the brahma website in php.
That (by the way) is almost done -- people who have used

 http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma

in the past might check it out again at

 http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma/index.php

and comment if they so desire.  When my energy banks recharge, perhaps
I'll tackle the Cows. So to speak...

   rgb

> gerry
>
> Dean Johnson wrote:
> > Howdy all,
> > Is it just me, or does anybody else have the problem when reading the "beowulf in space"
> > subject line, you hear that echoey 60's sci-fi movie sound effect? Okay, maybe I need some
> > sleep or something. ;-)
> >
> > 	-Dean

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu