beowulf in space Warning: 'WAY OT

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Apr 18 19:41:59 EDT 2003

You asked for it.

about 8 years ago, in response to a need to better and more accurately
track cattle for a USDA-sponsored entomology research project, Cows In
Space was born (or borne, as the case may be).  There were lots of
68030's moooving around the pasture, all reporting back to a head node
made of a Pentium-I.  All of the primary data was provided by direct
sequence spread-spectrum signalling at L-Band.  Biasing and additional
input data was provided by a low-speed VHF datalink.  ALthough the
general application was NUMA, in fact, all of the processors had a
uniform architecture and memory distribution.

These were GPS receivers.  On cows.  With differential corrections data
provided.  For the record, we were able to determine the animals'
location on a 30-sec interval with sub-bovine accuracy.

Sorry.  It just HAD to be told.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173