beowulf in space

chip chip at chip.bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 18 13:17:47 EDT 2003

Dean Johnson wrote:

Howdy all,
Is it just me, or does anybody else have the problem when reading the
"beowulf in space"
subject line, you hear that echoey 60's sci-fi movie sound effect? Okay,
maybe I need some
sleep or something. ;-)

	-Dean

Hi Dean,
No, I don't think its you... I've got that same sound coming thru my box
and I've had plenty of time to sleep on it.  But you would have actually
have had to live in the 1960's to understand what the sound was like.  A
flight to the moon was considered reckless not to mention impossible and
at the time considering the state of technology, it was certainly risky
business.  Flying a mission thru the Sun's outer atmosphere certainly
presses our technology to the extreme of theoretical limits... Not just
the processing power of the on board beowulfy type cluster processors
necessary for such a mission to succeed but the velocity that would
required is on the order of 10 times of what we have yet to achieve, but
theoretically possible based on a space tested Ion design.  The shielding
would have incorporate a combination of our most advanced composites and
not to mention the electrostatic field that would have to be generated to
protect the sensitive sensor array would perhaps come close to what Dr.
Brown half jokingly describes as a fusion engine... since it would
required an inverted plasm bubble... Yep I would say it is a purdy near
impossible mission... but not outside our theoretical limits... It's
enticing in its appeal... And in the same manner as the missions to the
moon in the 60's... It's got that mythic quality about it that tends to
capture the imagination... sends a chill of excitement in the
confrontation of overwhelming and impossible odds... From our not so
distant past it has a sound that is hauntingly  familiar... something the
thunder of the sound barrier perhaps booming from the past... It rings
history heroic... Its a great sound, I still love that sixties music :-)

C.Clary
Spartan sys. analyst
PO 1515
Spartanburg, SC 29304-0243