beowulf in space

Art Edwards edwardsa at plk.af.mil
Thu Apr 17 21:33:19 EDT 2003

There are two basic strategies for hardening: Design and process.
Processing involves special anneals, implants and oxide recipes that
are outside standard processing and so cannot be fabbed in standard
foundaries.  Designs are rather old and infolve specially shaped
transistors. This is an active and promising area of pursuit. If you
are really interested, you can look at past December issues of IEEE
Transactions on Nuclear Science. You can also attend the Nuclear and
Space Radiation Effects Conference this July in Monterrey Ca.

You can, in fact, shield against alot of threats. The question is
whether you want to launch shielding or active electronics.

Art Edwards

Art Edwards
Senior Research Physicist
Air Force Research Laboratory