Running perl scripts and non-mpi programs on scyld

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at nsc1.net
Thu Apr 17 12:57:34 EDT 2003

Kristen J. McFadden wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have a Scyld Beowulf cluster currently running on 28cz-4 (we are
>getting -5 soon).  We have been running into a lot of problems with
>users that are trying to run scripts on the child nodes.   To start
>with, what is the best way to run serial (non-MPI) programs?
>
>Here is the current issue I'm trying to tackle.
>
>Say I have a perl script.  (I  NFS mount /usr /lib etc. on the child
>nodes)
>
>I want to run this perl script on N nodes with N DIFFERENT arguments.

This is sort of what we are doing.

Our solution currently is:

1.  custom scheduler using bproc_rfork to fork
     our processing jobs (up to 2 per SMP node).

2.  local disk on each node:
        hda1     beoboot
        hda2     swap
        hda3     /tmp
        hda4     /usr/local

3.  cache of common tools to /usr/local including:
         some tools from /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin
         /usr/lib/perl
     - we are not currently rsync'ing this, but we
       could in the future....

4.  special scripts to run our collection of software
     as an independent run on each node

Hope this helps,
--
Wade Hampton