beowulf in space

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Apr 17 12:33:12 EDT 2003

high levels of ionizing radiation can induce shorts in semi-conductor
junctions... if you short a junction that has a voltage source behind it
you can do serious damage to whatevers on the other side. then you have
issues like higher instanaces of single bit errors, need for all ceramic
chip packages, and probably a couple other things I've already
forgotten. Taken as a whole they make substantial redesign necessary for
components that were not desgined to work in this environment from the
outset.

The other thing to keep in mind is that hardening systems against nuclear
attacks is a substantially different exercise given the short term nature
of that particular radiation exposure...

joelja

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but