[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Apr 15 12:45:22 EDT 2003

Keith D. Underwood wrote:

> The only way you get graphs like that is when a couple of your
> benchmarks actually fit in cache.  Benchmarks running from cache are not
> terribly representative of most real applications.

I seem to remember that being one of my major complaints about SPEC in
general.

I would much prefer to see small, medium, large, huge, and
I-cant-beleive-you-expect-results-from-something-that-size type runs
than the old "fit-in-the-cache" variety.

My runs, and my customers runs are quite a bit larger than the 3MB
caches, so we tend to take SPEC with a kg or two of salt.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC,
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com