beowulf in space

James Cownie jcownie at
Tue Apr 15 05:12:46 EDT 2003

>   b) communications latency (bandwidth actually can be as big as you
>      like or are likely to ever need, since you ARE a satellite, after
>      all...:-)

Well, 18 months ago ESA were getting 50Mb optically between satellites

since that is

1) a Moore generation ago :-) (though I think development times are
   longer in space technology)
2) public information

I expect that the people on the "dark side" who do this can indeed get
an awful lot of bandwidth...

(ISTR Chaisson in "Hubble Wars" mentioning that they were borrowing
the 10Mb link to space that the NSA folks had back in 1991).

-- Jim

James Cownie	<jcownie at>
Etnus, LLC.     +44 117 9071438