[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Tue Apr 15 09:57:55 EDT 2003

Duraid Madina wrote:

>SPECfp2000 is ~1170 for a 2GHz 1MB L2 Opteron. Not too bad. The SPECint
>figure is fantastic though (~1200). I hate x86 as much as the next guy,
>but it looks like this is what I'm going to be working with for some
>time, _thanks to Intel and their incredibly uninspired pricing strategy_.

Thanks for the numbers :-). Looks like Opteron comes in at slightly better
than the 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 in both cases (1100 FP, 1100 INT). So the marginal
additional price that AMD charges for Opteron will be for 64-bit addresses
and its SMP capability ... whether/when they try to sell it as a one-chip-fits-
all product will depend on how quickly they wish to destroy their x86-only
markets ... that would seem to be their best strategy though ... otherwise
Intel makes them into a sandwich by lowering the I2's price and raising
the P4's clock ... a kind of adiabatic squeeze play.

It will be interesting to watch ... from the sidelines.