beowulf in space

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Mon Apr 14 20:48:40 EDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 04:57:52PM -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

...snip...

> data (hence my earlier posts about MIPS/Watt being important).  Inherent in
> the fact that one CAN do processing is that the raw data must contain some
> redundancy, and the processing, in an information theoretic sense, consists
> of removing the redundancy (consider it as "lossless compression" if you
> will).

Hello Jim,

Sure. But you are going to perform lossless compression with a DSP chip
built into the pipeline. It was assumed you would remove redundancy prior to
transmitting from space. Lossless compression with a DSP core is not even
remotely comparable to hoisting a Beowulf cluster into space to
computationally exploit raw data from some exotic remote event. (smiles ;)

cheers,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer