[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 14 23:55:34 EDT 2003

> > see a lot of people buying uniprocessor It2's, and all It2
> > systems use a shared 6.4 GB/s FSB.  by comparison, a dual-opt
> > has 10.8 GB/s aggregate, which starts to be interesting.
>
> Feel free to flame me if I am wrong, but the HP chipset for It2
> is 8.5 GB/s.  The Intel chipset is 6.4 GB/s.  Each cpu can
> push 6.4 GB/s.

heck, the rx5670 claims 12.8 GB/s:
http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/rackoptimized/rx5670/specifications.html

alas, all the CPUs sit on a 6.4 GB/s bus:
http://www.hp.com/products1/itanium/chipset/4_way_block.html

(note that it lists 4 GB/s aggregate IO bandwidth; in short,
the 12.8 is simply false; 10.4 is theoretically possible,
but in reality, the CPUs will sustain 4ish and IO will probably
total less than 1.)

the real flames go out to the marketing pinheads who claim 12.8!

in fairness, I should note that HP's rx2600 stream scores
(3.5 3.5 4.0) are quite excellent.  not nearly as good as Marvel,
but competitive with a number of traditional vector supers.
quite a bit better than an Altix, too (1.7 1.7 1.9).