[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Mon Apr 14 20:27:35 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 17:53, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > about 1100 to 800 in favor of Pentium 4.  Bandwidth to memory as measured
> > by stream triad is 50% better on the Itanium implying that you will get
> > a larger percentage of peak for out-of-cache workloads.  Then there is
>
> until the next-gen P4 chipsets arrive (and they have).
>
> > I would be interested in SPECFP and Stream Triad numbers for the
> > Opteron if you have them.
>
> me too </aol>.  but if I understand AMD's marketing "plan",
> we won't see the interesting Opteron systems at launch.
> that is, since Opteron bandwidth scales with ncpus, it's
> really the 4-8-way systems that will look dramatically
> more attractive than any competitors (cept maybe Marvel).

drooling even more....

> it is sort of interesting that much of It2's rep rests on
> fairly single-threaded benchmarks (cfp2000, stream).  but I don't
> see a lot of people buying uniprocessor It2's, and all It2
> systems use a shared 6.4 GB/s FSB.  by comparison, a dual-opt
> has 10.8 GB/s aggregate, which starts to be interesting.

Feel free to flame me if I am wrong, but the HP chipset for It2
is 8.5 GB/s.  The Intel chipset is 6.4 GB/s.  Each cpu can
push 6.4 GB/s.

> I'm hoping AMD will get pumped and support PC3200 on apr 22.
> I fear that 4x and 8x systems will be late as usual.

Lots to talk about on the 22nd!

Did AMD pick Earth Day for any particular reason
to announce the new product?  I do not think this
is going to be a 'green' cpu.

Craig

Craig Tierney <ctierney at hpti.com>