[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 14 19:53:27 EDT 2003

> about 1100 to 800 in favor of Pentium 4.  Bandwidth to memory as measured
> by stream triad is 50% better on the Itanium implying that you will get
> a larger percentage of peak for out-of-cache workloads.  Then there is

until the next-gen P4 chipsets arrive (and they have).

> I would be interested in SPECFP and Stream Triad numbers for the
> Opteron if you have them.

me too </aol>.  but if I understand AMD's marketing "plan",
we won't see the interesting Opteron systems at launch.
that is, since Opteron bandwidth scales with ncpus, it's
really the 4-8-way systems that will look dramatically
more attractive than any competitors (cept maybe Marvel).

it is sort of interesting that much of It2's rep rests on
fairly single-threaded benchmarks (cfp2000, stream).  but I don't
see a lot of people buying uniprocessor It2's, and all It2
systems use a shared 6.4 GB/s FSB.  by comparison, a dual-opt
has 10.8 GB/s aggregate, which starts to be interesting.

I'm hoping AMD will get pumped and support PC3200 on apr 22.
I fear that 4x and 8x systems will be late as usual.