beowulf in space

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 14 18:49:24 EDT 2003

At 03:40 PM 4/14/2003 -0400, astroguy at bellsouth.net wrote:
>Hi list,
>Ok, you computer genius and rocket scientist all... I tend to agree with
>Dr.Brown's position but for the sake of argument... Let's think of along
>the lines of where a computational cluster might find some in space
>application.  Say for example we were to launch a probe into the
>Sun's  outer corona... let assume also that we have some shielding device
>that would sustain the craft in the 10 million degree C or so that such a
>craft is sure to encounter..

The corona is a fairly non-dense plasma (100 ions/cm^3 viz 2E19 atoms/cm^3
for STP air), more closely resembling a really good vacuum(1E-15 torr?),
where the ions are moving moderately fast (1-10kEv), corresponding to a
temperature of 10 million K, but I don't know that the heat content is all
that great, and I don't know that it would actually heat a real body placed
in it all that much, any more than the CRT in your TV or monitor heats up
from the 100 million K electrons in the internal beam (which has a much,
much higher number density than the corona)

For some data on a real solar atmosphere probe:
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/solar_connections/probe.html and
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/spd/solar_probe.html
and a nice technical presentation at
http://solarprobe2.jpl.nasa.gov/SPBR.html

>. Even with our best science fiction such a craft could only endure a few
>precious moments in such a space environment, so we would have to use the
>advantage of speed... Ok, so we use an ion engine to get the craft up to
>speed... since the sun's corona extends apparently 700,000 km or so into
>space... the craft would have to get up to a speed say 250,000 mph.  Which
>we have yet to achieve but not impossible... Sling shot around Jupiter and
>Mars and back to the sun with the ion engine in a bit of celestial magic
>provided by or on!
>  ground navigational cluster... certainly we can achieve a very high
> velocity for our death plunge into the Sun's outer atmosphere...
> Computational real time observations within those few precious moments
> before the probe vaporised would certainly be enhanced by an on board
> beowulf cluster... You asked for speculation, as to an application... I
> think this is perhaps one.

While your nav scenario is a bit unrealistic, the need for on-board
processing is precisely right..you're limited in your downlink (total bits
that can be sent before immolation)

>Chip
> >
> > From: Mark Hahn <hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca>
> > Date: 2003/04/14 Mon PM 02:46:05 EDT
> > To: chettri at gst.com
> > CC: beowulf at beowulf.org
> > Subject: Re: beowulf in space
> >
> > > Has anybody considered the theoretical aspects of placing beowulfs on a
> > > cluster of satellites?

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive