[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Mon Apr 14 18:09:12 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 14:18, Duraid Madina wrote:
> Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
> >    Taking into account that Itanium 2 has much more high performance,
> > the price from HP looks reasonable.
>
> On FP-heavy workloads, perhaps. On integer workloads, hardly. And that's
> only comparing it against HP's own PA-8700 hardware! Compare it to more
> mainstream hardware and you'll see just how laughable Itanium 2 prices
> are. The Itanium 2 doesn't have significantly higher performance than
> today's Xeons. Opteron, at least for the time being, performs
> significantly better again.

Er, really?  What are your comparisons?  My comparisons show that
Itanium 2's operate about 100% faster on my codes than my 2.2 Ghz Xeons
(400 Mhz FSB).  This is without going in and trying to tweak the code.
I don't know if it is running as fast as it should be.

No, this still doesn't justify the price difference, but the performance
isn't as bad as you are implying.

The I2 does have integer math performance problems, but is supposed to
be corrected with the next generation chip (Madison).

> >    Yes, Opteron may give good alternative, but I'm not sure
> > that price/performance ratio for Opteron servers will be better
> > than for P4 Xeon dual servers.
>
> Let me tell you now: the price/performance ratio of Opteron systems _is_
> better than that of their dual Xeon counterparts. How long this will
> remain the case is yet to be seen. Thank your lucky stars for AMD
> though, as they're the only people who have a chance at making Intel cut
> their prices. ;)

Unless we want start a flame war on NDA hardware, I think should be
adding the phrase 'It depends' to any Opteron benchmarks, because it
does.  Lets get to arguing numbers in about 2 weeks when we can.

And no, for MY CODES, Opteron does not perform significantly better than
the Itanium 2 in all cases.  However, when we start to talk
price/performance the Opteron will be the right choice for many
applications.  However, not necessarily all of them.

I am not trying to be negative about a platform that does not exist
(yet). Personally I want 8 to 1000 Opteron nodes to do some real work.
However blanket statements about any hardware platform don't do any
good.

But I agree with you, all competition is good.  It makes our toys
cheaper.

Craig

Craig Tierney <ctierney at hpti.com>