[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Duraid Madina duraid at octopus.com.au
Mon Apr 14 16:18:50 EDT 2003

Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
>    Taking into account that Itanium 2 has much more high performance,
> the price from HP looks reasonable.

On FP-heavy workloads, perhaps. On integer workloads, hardly. And that's
only comparing it against HP's own PA-8700 hardware! Compare it to more
mainstream hardware and you'll see just how laughable Itanium 2 prices
are. The Itanium 2 doesn't have significantly higher performance than
today's Xeons. Opteron, at least for the time being, performs
significantly better again.

>    Yes, Opteron may give good alternative, but I'm not sure
> that price/performance ratio for Opteron servers will be better
> than for P4 Xeon dual servers.

Let me tell you now: the price/performance ratio of Opteron systems _is_
better than that of their dual Xeon counterparts. How long this will
remain the case is yet to be seen. Thank your lucky stars for AMD
though, as they're the only people who have a chance at making Intel cut
their prices. ;)

 > Only if you need badly 64-bit processor ...

It's thanks to Intel that people even think like this. It's now 2003:
you shouldn't have to sell your children to get fast 64-bit systems.

	Duraid