Machine Check Exception

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at
Mon Apr 14 13:46:05 EDT 2003

Does anyone know if a power supply can cause a machine check exception (
I would think that the VRM would stop it from effecting the processor,
but what about the rest of the system - seems odd that the machine
wouldn't fail in other ways...)?  I have a cluster node that keeps
crashing w/ one, and I've looked it up in the Intel ia32 manual, and
it's a not specific to processor and RAM ( which I have already changed
out ), so I've just been swapping parts out ( so far I've swapped CPU0,
where the Exception took place, all the RAM, all the fibre, network, and
RSA cards, the motherboard, etc. - basically the only things that are
the same as the original node are the chass, power supply, scsi disk (
but not controller ), CPU1, and CPU1's VRM - I just changed out the VRM
for CPU0 and am putting the node back into use once it's fibre disk
fscks : this might fix the problem.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I'd hate to throw the entire
scenario out and just replace the entire node ( Since I'll eventually
have to find and replace the faulty hardware and I've already done so
much, I'd like to finish it ).
Derek R.

Linux Administrator
derek.richardson at
derek.richardson at
Office 713-781-4000
Cell 713-817-1197
bureaucracy, n:
	A method for transforming energy into solid waste.