Mac OS X or Linux?

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 13 13:57:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 05:04:52PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > http://terizla.org/~robl/pbook/benchmarks/lmbench-linux_vs_osx.1

> does OS X have page coloring inherited from *BSD?  perhaps that
> explains the only place it comes out ahead (memory bandwidth/latency).

linux loses out on the Libc(bcopy) score because gnu libc doesn't have
ppc-optimised string and memory operations.  This really surprised me,
but hopefully someone (maybe me, if i can learn ppc assembly fast
enough :> ) will implement them.

The other memory bandwidth and latency numbers are too close to call,
unless i'm missing something.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B