Mac OS X or Linux?

Robert Latham robl at
Sun Apr 13 13:57:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 05:04:52PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> does OS X have page coloring inherited from *BSD?  perhaps that
> explains the only place it comes out ahead (memory bandwidth/latency).

linux loses out on the Libc(bcopy) score because gnu libc doesn't have
ppc-optimised string and memory operations.  This really surprised me,
but hopefully someone (maybe me, if i can learn ppc assembly fast
enough :> ) will implement them.

The other memory bandwidth and latency numbers are too close to call,
unless i'm missing something.

Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B