[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Fri Apr 11 17:25:16 EDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 06:55:01AM +1000, Duraid Madina wrote:
> Isn't a single CPU rp2430 somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 the price of a
> dual zx6000?

Dunno. is it?
Try comparing dual rp2470 and dual rx2600 with similar products
from other vendors.

David wrote:
|       - hp workstation zx2000 (Linux software enablement kit)
|	- Intel? Itanium 2 900MHz Processor with 1.5MB on-chip L3 cache

Sorry - my bad.  I misread that as "2x 900 Mhz".

Anyway, my point still stands, comparing a "server" (rackable, remote console)
with a "workstation" (3D gfx, sound, DVD-ROM) has alot of variables and
different folks value these things differently.  But even here, I would
guess the difference in CPU perf alone is 2x or more by most measures.
Yes, I know the price is 3x but other things make zx2000 attract to
a different set of customers (like linux support).

grant