[Linux-ia64] Re: Itanium gets supercomputing software

David Mosberger davidm at napali.hpl.hp.com
Fri Apr 11 18:08:37 EDT 2003

  Duraid> My point wasn't that software simulators are useless, but
  Duraid> that software simulators _should_ be useless **4 years**
  Duraid> (!!) after the public availability of hardware.

Then how do you explain the popularity of user-mode linux on x86?

The reason I continue to use Ski is because it's one of the very few
simulators out there that are (a) architecturally extremely accurate,
(b) fast, and (c) very easy to setup & use.  Ski is an asset for ia64
linux, not a weakness.

(And no, just because we have Ski doesn't mean we don't use real
 hardware.  Nothing could be further from the truth.)

	--david