[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

David Mosberger davidm at napali.hpl.hp.com
Fri Apr 11 17:35:07 EDT 2003

  Grant> Anyway, my point still stands, comparing a "server" (rackable, remote console)
  Grant> with a "workstation" (3D gfx, sound, DVD-ROM) has alot of variables and
  Grant> different folks value these things differently.  But even here, I would
  Grant> guess the difference in CPU perf alone is 2x or more by most measures.
  Grant> Yes, I know the price is 3x but other things make zx2000 attract to
  Grant> a different set of customers (like linux support).

Also, don't forget memory bandwidth.

The zx2000 is a very nice workstation.  Granted, it's not $1k, but it
doesn't perform like a Multia either!  And yes, it's quiet, too (I use
one as my main workstation these days... ;-)

As for what the future holds, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Remember though: just a year ago, the cheapest ia64 workstation you
could get was priced at $7k+.  This year, you can get a zx2000 for
$3k+, so, judging from where I sit, prices certainly are coming down.

	--david