IA-64 related question (tangentially)

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Fri Apr 11 15:15:25 EDT 2003

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> FSF or Debian don't need Itaniums, really, except for maybe one or two
> to ensure that builds work on the architecture.  They don't "compute".
> I do.  To me a cycle is a precious thing as I use so MANY of them over
> the years.

Given what you told us about your code (how you didn't need Fortran and
all those nice multi-rank array loops), I gather that you could get lots
of cycles with an Itanium, but no speed.

Perhaps David M-T can explain this better than me ...

--
Toon Moene - mailto:toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phoneto: +31 346 214290
GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc-g95.sourceforge.net/ (under construction)