[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Duraid Madina duraid at octopus.com.au
Fri Apr 11 16:31:58 EDT 2003

David,

	Itanium 2 isn't even competitive with other offerings from your own
company. Compare:

David Mosberger wrote:
> Here is one real price point for an Itanium 2 workstation:
>
> 	- hp workstation zx2000 (Linux software enablement kit)
> 	-  Intel? Itanium 2 900MHz Processor with 1.5MB on-chip L3 cache
> 	-  512MB Total PC2100 Registered ECC DDR 266 SDRAM Memory (2x256MB)
> 	-  40GB EIDE Hard Drive
> 	-  NVIDIA Quadro2 EX
> 	-  10/100/1000BT LAN integrated
> 	-  16X Max DVD-ROM
> 	-  Linux software enablement kit (not an operating system)
> 	-  3-year warranty, next-day, onsite hardware response, Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
> 	- $3,298

with:

	- HP server rp2430
	- 1xHP PA-8700 650MHz CPU with 2.25MB on-chip L1 cache
	- 128MB Roughly-2GB/sec-God-Knows-What ECC Memory
	- HP-UX 11i
	- 1-year warranty, next-day onsite hardware response
	- $1,095

	(missing things like disk, a reasonable amount of RAM, etc can be
brought to the level of the Itanium system you quote for another $700 or
so - to see this config, go to www.e-solutions.hp.com, and try to buy an
rp2430 (HP part #A6889A))

	I bought one of these, and it is excellent (if a little loud. ;) I
would happily buy a bare-bones Itanium 2 system at the same price. This
doesn't seem to like it's going to be possible any time soon. In less
than two weeks, I will be able to buy an Opteron system that runs a
great deal faster at the same price.

	Good luck.

	Duraid