cooling systems

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 11 18:19:15 EDT 2003

In our system a 24 ton chiller has a backup water source in the form of a
city water supply... There's no return on that one, it gets dumped into
the waste water treatment stream so your water bill goes up in a big
hurry, and it's way less effective because the water is in the upper 50s
instead of the mid 30's. It's controlled by a vacuum break valve so
switchover is automatic if one supply goes away...

Backup fans, extensive temperature monitoring, and thermal kill switches
are still necessary, esp as there have been about 6 chiller failures since
I arrived in 93 (the thing is 22 years old at this point). water under the
floor is always one of those exciting alarms...

joelja

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but