IA-64 related question (tangentially)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 11 14:56:18 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:27:31AM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > FSF or Debian don't need Itaniums, really, except for maybe one or two
> > to ensure that builds work on the architecture.  They don't "compute".
>
> Joking aside, every compiler group needs a cluster, because their
> nightly testing is:
>
> build kernel, test kernel
> build compiler, test compiler
> build all rpms in your distro
> build and run SPECcpu
> build and run misc tests
> run a search over combinations of optimization flags to see if
>   any are broken or have performance regressions
>
> And that's not even considering parallelizing builds.

Good point; I had forgotten the compiler people.  Kernel people in
general as well.  I was thinking more in terms of application level
people.  Not to mention trying to weasel some free high end systems by
talking down the competition...;-)

  Alas, alas,
  It is not meant to be.
  They in UK,
  Me in NC.

:-)

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu