IA-64 related question (tangentially)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 11 16:02:33 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Toon Moene wrote:

> Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > FSF or Debian don't need Itaniums, really, except for maybe one or two
> > to ensure that builds work on the architecture.  They don't "compute".
> > I do.  To me a cycle is a precious thing as I use so MANY of them over
> > the years.
>
> Given what you told us about your code (how you didn't need Fortran and
> all those nice multi-rank array loops), I gather that you could get lots
> of cycles with an Itanium, but no speed.
>
> Perhaps David M-T can explain this better than me ...

I know, I know.  It would be a horrible waste of money to give them to
me in terms of raw cost benefit, EXCEPT of course that to me they'd be
FREE, and it is hard to beat that for cost benefit;-)

So I guess you can ask for them instead.  At least the Netherlands is
closer to the UK...:-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

 In a little known book of ancient wisdom appears the following Koan:

    The Devil finds work
    For idle systems
    Nature abhors a NoOp

 The sages have argued about the meaning of this for megacycles, some
 contending that idle systems are easily turned to evil tasks, others
 arguing that whoever uses an idle system must be possessed of the Devil
 and should be smote with a sucker rod until purified.

 I myself interpret "Devil" to be an obvious mistranslation of the word
 "Daemon". It is for this reason, my son, that I wish to place a simple
 daemon on your system so that Nature is satisfied, for it is clear that
 a NoOp is merely a Void waiting to be filled...

 This is the true Tao.