cooling systems

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 11 15:29:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, jbassett wrote:

> This is precisely the point that I am getting at. It seems indirect to me to
> cool the ambient atmosphere in a room using air conditioners, then expect the
> heat to distribute itself so that the temperature is at equilibrium throughout
> the system. It seems entirely more sensible to have a system such that cold
> air would be directed more precisely at the cpus, then have the exiting flow
> directed through some sort of exhaust system which would take it to some place
> that would act as a heat resovoir. In that way you could use the existing
> airconditioning infrastructure at a facility by distributing the hot exhaust
> from a cluster into the building.

You're better off just taking the heat out of the air and exhausting it
out of the building, which you do with either vapor-phase refridgeration
or chilled water in general... when you have large datacenters, you don't
use the rest of the building as a heat resovoir, it's not nearly big enough a
space unless you happen to work in one of the moffet field blimp hangars
or something. if you had enough space or a convenient lake you could also
use a heat-pump.

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but