SMC8624T vs DLINK DGC-1024T / Jumbo Frames ?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Fri Apr 11 14:18:42 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:34:08PM +0200, rochus.schmid at ch.tum.de wrote:

> http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Publications/ HalsteadPubs/usenix_halstead.pdf
> it says that the effect on bandwith with jumbo frames is only seen for tcp/ip
> commun (netpipe) but is completely lost using MPI. since my code is MPI based
> it wouldn't matter to have jumbo frames and i could go with the cheaper DLINK.
> is this info right? or outdated? missunderstood?

This is a function of how big your communications are -- if you always
send multi-megabyte messages, you probably will get a bit better
bandwidth with jumbo frames. By the way, interrupt coalescence can get
most of the improvement of jumbo frames without the pain that jumbo
frames can cause. But interrupt coalescence might make short messages
take a bit longer to arrive.

greg