remote booting

Donald Becker becker at
Fri Apr 11 14:50:24 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Yudong Tian wrote:

> Please make sure your NIC supports PXE boot or not. If it does,
> then you can boot over the network without using a floppy.
> If it does not, you might need to use syslinux on a floppy.

The Scyld system boots using almost any boot media, including floppy.
And since it uses a Linux kernel as part of the boot system, it supports
almost any network devices that the cluster might end up using.

But we still strongly recommend using PXE boot instead of the "stage 1"
system we developed.  The PXE boot protocol isn't as technically strong,
but that is out-weighted by
  - the tens of millions of machines that already have PXE support
  - its near ubiquity in current production machines, and
  - its very low cost to retrofit by installing a NIC with a PXE ROM.

Donald Becker				becker at
Scyld Computing Corporation
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993