cooling systems

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 11 13:29:01 EDT 2003

rack systems with integrated hvac do exist. as a general rule it cheaper
to buy one or two large ac units and move air around as needed than it is
to buy lots of small ac units have to deal seperately with the exhaust
from all their little heat-exchangers...

 On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, jbassett wrote:

> Does anyone know of if it is possible to buy a rackmount cluster with an
> integrated cooling system? It seems against the philosophy of Beowulf to look
> for low cost computing solutions, and then find that you need to make a
> substantial investment just to cool the room. I had an Athlon system shut down
> on me due to overheat, so I look at the cases and I think- why aren't people
> looking to use airflow in a more efficient manner. I know the ambient air temp
> isn't this high. I may be in left field, but it seems like the flow inside a
> case is so turbulent that the mean air velocity is not carrying the warm air
> away from the cpu as quickly as it could.

there's a substantial amount of engineering that has to go into the
thermal management in a 1u or 2u case that simply doen't have to
happen in the desktop pc industry. even if you have sufficient cooling for
the room you may still need dedicated airhandlers to move it to the
right location for the rack with the nodes in them...

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but