cooling systems

jbassett jbassett at
Fri Apr 11 12:41:07 EDT 2003

Does anyone know of if it is possible to buy a rackmount cluster with an
integrated cooling system? It seems against the philosophy of Beowulf to look
for low cost computing solutions, and then find that you need to make a
substantial investment just to cool the room. I had an Athlon system shut down
on me due to overheat, so I look at the cases and I think- why aren't people
looking to use airflow in a more efficient manner. I know the ambient air temp
isn't this high. I may be in left field, but it seems like the flow inside a
case is so turbulent that the mean air velocity is not carrying the warm air
away from the cpu as quickly as it could.
Joseph Bassett