Itanium gets supercomputing software

David Kågedal david at
Fri Apr 11 03:51:36 EDT 2003

Matt Chapman <matthewc at> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:58:08AM +1000, Duraid Madina wrote:
>> I put it to you that software is easier to develop on hardware. Nothing
>> unique to IA64, indeed.
> We still use simulators despite the availability of hardware.  Operating
> system software is often easier to debug on a simulator.

Exactly.  There are a lot of things that you can do with a simulator
that you can't do with hardware.  Developing software before hardware
is available is just one of them.  (plug mode on) That's why we sell
simulators for most major current CPU architectures.  Including IA64.

David Kågedal, Virtutech